Blog #7- Wait, What was Her Point Again?


Wait, What was Her Point Again?
            Although I enjoyed the idea of Habit + Crisis = Update, and to an extend I do agree, I could not move past the endless amount of unnecessary information.  Chun consistently went on tangents and gave examples that, in my opinion, had nothing to do with what she was discussing. She wanted to further explain her ideas, or more generally, other peoples thoughts/findings, and by doing so she was constantly referring back to other people and giving examples that did not flow well. It seemed that she truly believes the more scholars you reference in a novel the better it will be, and I do not agree whatsoever.
            I will say that Chun gave better examples at the beginnings of her specific chapters. Those made sense to her points, gave good clarification on what was to come, and did an overall good job at getting her point across. I think that if she were to cut out all the random samples/ideas/believes/theories/etc. she tries to correlate within her chapters and just had these better pre-textual examples, it would have not have improved the book, but it would have been a lot easier to read.
            I struggled getting through this book because it was so hard to follow. Yes, she does bring back her points at the end of the chapter and tries to close tightly at the end of the book, but everything between made it hard to follow her true points. I do, however, agree with this idea that Habit + Crisis = Update. That makes sense in a more logical way, even if she didn’t explain it that way. I would have liked to see her discuss the different levels of crisis and how those effect change in our society. There are many different levels of crisis and I would be more curious to see how “quickly we update” when a large-scale crisis comes around compared to a small every day crisis. (Also note, that this word of crisis has such a negative connotation that it was initially hard to wrap my head around the idea of it not being catastrophic.)
            YOU as a singular and plural word was also an interesting point, the notion of everyone being one person but also a group definitely helped her thoughts. How we as individuals and groups are able to continuously update and strive towards a better new media where it is truly open rather than an “open, private space.”
            Overall, I think Chun has some great ideas in her book but unfortunately it is just too hard to follow. I feel she decided to take as much information as possible and shove it into her book rather than really take hold of the idea on her own. I would have liked to see her thoughts laid out more clearly for the reader to follow. (Who knows, I might be the only one that was having a hard time reading this!) With some great ideas it would have been nice to understand them a little more clearly the first time reading rather than having to constantly go back and ask, “Wait what was her point in this example again?”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog # 4- Civic Participation & the Feelings You Get

Blog #11- Privacy vs. Public Safety

Blog #10- Where will it Lead?