Blog #10- Where will it Lead?


Where will it Lead?

I thought Infinite Distraction was a well written book that was able to discuss the pros and cons of the distractions we face in todays’ culture. Although towards the end the author sounded a little like a conspiracy theorist, I felt that he was able to make valid points throughout the first few chapters.
            As Mr. Pettman argues, we have not gotten to the point where we react the same to all content we see, but haven’t we to a certain extent? I couldn’t help but think about how to scroll through Instagram & watch stories on Snapchat. On Instagram, I tend to scroll down the page and like (almost) everyone’s post without giving their content a second glance. Could this be showing how I will most likely react to posts in the future? Probably. On Facebook, I am better able to disclose what type of emotion I want to portray when liking a post, which I believe forces me to think about the content more compared to Instagram. I don’t want to put a laughing emoji on content that is sad, etc. This article explains when the best time to use the reactions are, and although I find some of the content ridiculous, it would be really helpful for some people!
            I also liked his point about the “diffusion of positive knowledge.” Thinking about how I was raised, you always had to search for the answer or ask an adult if you were confused. The internet was not there to search for key words or learn random, useless facts. To figure out a math problem my dad and I had to look through the book, not search on YouTube. Schools and Universities would teach critical and conceptual thinking, which helps with our ability to problem solve as we get older. What happens if we are not able to develop this type of thinking and become dependent on instant access? As much as I hate to admit it, I believe we already are dependent on it. Although Pettman discusses the end of all thinking if we continue down this path, I believe we will adapt and develop new ways to collect and store knowledge. It might not be the same as it was before, but it will be better suited for the environment we will be living in. Examples such as better multi-tasking or learning how to make decisions with the full set of information (since it will be readily accessible).
            Even though there are many issues that could arise from the instantaneity of the internet and what it brings, I believe our society will benefit from it in the long run. Just because it is different doesn’t mean that it is bad, it just means we will have to take some time to adjust. The authors thoughts on how our society could crumble apart from these distractions seems a little dramatic, but I grew up as technology was taking off so maybe I am more willing to adapt then he is?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #11- Privacy vs. Public Safety

Blog # 4- Civic Participation & the Feelings You Get

Blog #7- Wait, What was Her Point Again?